Sunday, August 31, 2008

First Week

So I've officially made it through the first week of school and honestly was not bad at all!!! It could've been a lot worse, and I think people were thinking it is was going to be worst. I got so much "advice" from different people....you gotta be strict that first day, you gotta be firm, don't smile, etc. In my mind, I swear I thought I was gonna get kids who were just gonna try and play me as soon as they got the chance. Quite the contrary....only a small minortiy are still trying to play me, the rest are that hard to get a handle on. In terms of smiling, ya'll know me--I laugh at any given moment. However, my smiles aren't all bubbly and "welcome boys and girls! Today we are going to learn about the scientific method!? Doesn't that sound GREAT!?!?" Naaaah, that ain't me. Real talk, most of the time the only time I'm smiling is when I'm laughing at one of the kids, they eiter said something off the wall, or are acting a fool and I don't understand why they keep doing wrong.

I've got a large group, LARGE. Sometimes I don't know how I manage, and its just me. This past friday, my mentor came in to see how I was doing, which reminds me, I got to ask her about areas of improvement for me. She'll probably say I need to work on my classroom management, which she is right. lol What I think is good, may not be what someone else thinks is good. Me personally, I don't mind talking, just not the point where its like there is no learning going on. I already had to make some phone calls, and I don't mind making more, matter of fact, for two people, that's their next step. I've had to separate friends, and I honestly could give to hills of beans about it. And at that this point, I'mma hit you where it hurts---you're grade. You know one girl had the audacity to say about an assignment "UH UH, you grading this??" I told "Uhm, that's my job!" These kids got it twisted, its like they don't even know the purpose of schools and teachers. Too much work is simply given a check and that's that. Of course students wouldn't take grading seriously. I was tellin' my dude, this kids nowadays is SOFT. Teachers be holding they're hand through every little step that they don't know how to do nothing. I see what my program meant by raising expectations. There's a worksheet for everything, so of course, I shouldn't have been surprised when students ask me "complete sentence?" and "you can't start a sentence with 'because'?" I'm not even going to talk about the spelling....I asked one boy "what is that word?" He paused, and was like "I don't know..." I WAS READING OFF HIS PAPER. Kids can't write legibly; it's a shame. I got my work cut off for me ya'll....

To celebrate my first week, I went to a staff fishfry. We played rockband and wii and had slammin' catfish. My lil' man was runnin' all over the place dancing all in the way. It was a good time, teachers now how to get down. I left the lady's house at about 10:20 and they was STILL goin'. There was alcohol there, so I don't know how crazy stuff got, lol. I'mma have to ask. After that, my homeboy had a function at his place, so I went to that. Again, mostly teachers lol. Only one dude there wasn't, and that's cuz the hiring is lame. As my good friend says they was "knockin' them b****es back" LOL. I ain't gon' front, I got a lil' bit enebreated and helped my team punish in some "flip cup." That was first time for me gettin' a lil' bit gone...it felt weird. I knew there was problem when I was readujusting my eyes and no one turned off the lights, and when I had to gather myself when I got up off the couch and made my may to the bathroom. Good times, good times. I went on to tell my homeboy about my teacher crush, and I went on and on, this dude passed out mid sentence. lol That's how I knew I was a lil' bit gone too---people who know me KNOW that I don't just be readily givin' up personal information. Oh, and they had Jay-Z unplugged going.

I got money to actually manage and started a savings account. I plan on stopping by best buy and putting in a sound system. Things ain't half bad down here in Texas ya'll......

3 comments:

N/A said...

I'm really enjoying your blogs and this one takes the cake. Is there some kind of subscription option? If not, I'll just keep ur URL bookmarked :-)

Ms. Brown said...

wow, thanks! I'm new to blogging, so I don't know about subscription options....I'll definitely look into it for you though.

Bsquared86 said...

*applause*
job well done, job well done. dr. carr would be proud of you, lol. i knew you woul dbe able to handle it, i mean . . . look at teh schools we went to? these kids are't any different in behavior as the kids were at our schools. as for not being able to complete sentences, spell, grading, etc. *shaking head* atleast they're only 6th grade- set em straight! they can still change.

::peace::